This recipe was created by Leah Swanson, RD and shared with her permission.
These muffins put a healthy twist on traditional higher-sugar versions. Sweetened only with a small amount of maple syrup, the fresh, seasonal fruit shines through for natural flavor and sweetness.
Using a flax egg and plant based milk makes the recipe vegan and dairy allergy friendly.
What’s your favorite summertime baking recipe?
Strawberry Rhubarb Flax Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup Manitoba Milling Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 flax eggs 2 Tbsp milled flaxseed + 3 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant based milk
- 1 cup strawberries chopped
- 1/2 cup rhubarb chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a muffin tin or line with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine oil, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, and milk. Whisk to combine.
- Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture. Stir with rubber spatula until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Fold in strawberries and rhubarb.
- Scoop the batter into muffin tin, filling each muffin about 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Let cool about 5-10 minutes in the tin, then remove muffins to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container.
Leah is a Registered Dietitian based out of Seattle, Washington. She is passionate about nutrition communications, gut-health, and the low FODMAP diet. In her free time she loves to create new recipes, travel, try new restaurants, and practice yoga. Connect with her on Instagram and Twitter.