These whole grain muffins are the perfect way to start your day. They also freeze well to save for later.
Whole Grains, Fiber & B Vitamins – oats, quinoa, ground flaxseed
Protein & Healthy Fats – ground flaxseed, tahini
and just the right amount of natural sweetness from the fruit and honey.
These muffins are gluten free, dairy free, and vegan (if you use maple syrup to sweeten).
Gluten-Free & Vegan (if using maple syrup)
Makes 12 Muffins
- ½ cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 ¼ cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup Manitoba Milling Co. Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed (~2 medium bananas)
- ½ cup honey (maple syrup or agave will work too)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add quinoa. Toast for about 5 minutes until quinoa begins to brown and pop. Grind the quinoa into a flour with a coffee/spice grinder or a food processor.
- Pulse oats in a food processor until it forms a course flour.
- Combine oat flour, quinoa flour, ground flax, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Combine lemon juice and almond milk and set aside.
- Blend flax eggs, mashed banana, honey, vanilla extract, and tahini in a blender until smooth. Add the almond milk and lemon mixture and whisk until combined.
- Toss the frozen strawberries in the dry flour mixture and mix until the strawberries are coated.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined (do not overmix!).
- Fill muffin tin with batter until almost full. Bake for 15-17 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and the tops are golden brown.
- Allow muffins to cool completely before removing from tin. Enjoy!
Follow us on Pinterest for more healthy recipes!