- 1 – 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 7 garlic cloves, peeled and slivered
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 sprig basil OR ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 ½ tbsp. Manitoba Milling Company Smooth Whole-Milled Flaxseed
- Pour tomatoes into large bowl and crush with your hands. Pour water into tomato can; swirl can to collect tomato juices and reserve.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. When it is hot, add garlic.
- As soon as garlic is sizzling (do not let it brown), add the tomatoes, then reserved water from tomato can. Add red pepper flakes, oregano (if using) and salt. Stir. If you are using the basil sprig, lay it on the surface of the sauce until wilted; submerge in sauce.
- Simmer sauce until slightly thickened and oil on surface is a deep orange, about fifteen minutes.
- Sprinkle Manitoba Milling Company Smooth Whole-Milled Flaxseed onto sauce and whisk to combine. Heat sauce for an additional minute.
- Puree sauce in blender until desired consistency is achieved.