Beer Cheese Dip
Whether you’re prepping to watch the big game or it’s just a regular Tuesday night, you are just a few steps away from a decadent, melty snack!
You can make this recipe your own by choosing your favorite type of block cheese and beer (or omit the beer all-together by subbing it with extra dairy beverage or flax beverage)! You won’t even notice the flaxseed, it’s so smooth!
Our version gets a little bit of spice from the pepperjack cheese and cayenne pepper, but feel free to swap in monterey jack cheese for an extra mild version.
If you are pressed for time, you can even make this dip the day before and store it in the fridge. You will just need to re-heat it slowly and you can add a splash of beverage if the mixture to bring the cheese back to dip consistency.
The best part is deciding what to serve with your cheese dip! From chips to bread to pretzels — you can’t go wrong! Let us know your favorite way to eat cheese dip @manitobamilling!
Beer Cheese Dip
- Stove top
- 2 Tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons flour all purpose
- 4 ounces beer of choice (or sub with beverage) warmed slightly in a microwave or separate saucepan
- 4 ounces beverage (we used low fat) warmed slightly(you can warm beer and beverage together), plus more for thinning, if desired
- 2 Tablespoons Manitoba Milling Co. Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 4 ounces pepper jack cheese freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- chopped bacon or green onions for garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add in the chopped garlic and cook until slightly browned.
- Add in the flour, stir, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Warm the beer and beverage in a microwave or separate saucepan until they are slightly warm (not boiling).
- Slowly add the warmed beer and beverage to the flour mixture and whisk to combine. Continue cooking over low heat until the mixture thickens. You will know it’s ready when it is opaque and think enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and add the flaxseed, cheese, mustard, Worcestershire, onion powder, cayenne, and black pepper. Stir until mixture is smooth. Depending on your prefered thickness, you may want to add additional beverage, 1 Tablespoon at a time, to reach your desired consistency.
- Serve with chips, pretzels, vegetables, or your dipper of choice! Garnish with chopped green onions or bacon, if desired.