These whole grain flaxseed waffles make for a delicious and healthy start to your day. If your mornings tend to be busy and on the go – we suggest making a large batch and freezing the extras to reheat later.
Whole Grain Flaxseed Waffles
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup Manitoba Milling Co Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ Tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp kosher sea salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 egg separated
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix milk, oil, and egg yolk and set aside. Whisk egg white in a small dish until light and frothy.
- Add wet ingredients to dry (keeping egg white separate) and mix until batter is smooth. Gently fold in egg white and stir until well combined.
- Grease waffle iron with oil or cooking spray. Add ½ cup batter per waffle, cooking until brown and crispy. Serve immediately.
- For this recipe we used an 8 ½ “ classic round waffle maker (not Belgian). If you’re using a different shape/size, cook time and the amount of batter used may vary.
- We recommend cooking the batter immediately instead of letting it rest as some waffle recipes will call for.