French toast is a favorite cozy weekend breakfast entree. While traditionally it requires eggs, our version incorporates flax eggs in the batter to make it vegan-friendly!
This simple breakfast together quickly and can be topped with all of your favorite accompaniments. Our favorite: fresh berries, banana slices, extra cinnamon, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup.
Vegan Flax French Toast with Berries
- 2 Tbsp Manitoba Milling Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 4 slices whole grain bread dry is best
- vegan butter or oil for cooking
- Add first five ingredients (flax through salt) to a shallow dish and whisk until well-combined.
- Heat ~1 tsp butter/oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Dip one piece of bread in the batter (flipping to lightly coat both sides), let excess drip off, and add to the hot skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until browned and slightly crispy. Repeat with remaining slices of bread.
- Top with fresh fruit and maple syrup and serve immediately.
- Avoid using soft bread for this recipe as it may fall apart when flipping. Instead choose day-old bread or let bread sit out while you prep the rest of your ingredients.
- You may need to wipe out the pan and let it cool down slightly between slices to prevent burning.