Calling all donut fans! This whole grain version is anything but ordinary. The addition of beer adds carbonation and complex flavor while a flax egg keeps them vegan. The fresh blackberry glaze adds a beautiful pop of color and sweetness!
This recipe was created by Jessi Holden of Nutrition Brewed and shared with her permission. Thanks for sharing with us, Jessi! You can find the original recipe and more on Jessi’s blog, here!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Manitoba Milling Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed + 3 Tbsp water, as flax egg
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp Beer any type
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries mashed
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp plant based milk (we suggest Flax Milk!) only if batter is too thick at end
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease your donut pan.
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Gently stir together the wet ingredients.
- Add wet to try and gently combine.
- Fill your donut pan with batter and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- While baking, prepare the blackberry glaze.
- Drizzle glaze over donuts and enjoy!
Jessi has been a dietitian for 6 years and currently works an outpatient team lead. She has a “no size fits all” approach to nutrition. She’s a big believer that new and old practices have a purpose when it comes to helping people learn and develop new habits and behaviors. Her goal is to help people with simple and practical tips to cook, eat, and drink for a healthy and balanced life.