This recipe goes to show that you really can add flaxseed to just about anything.
We used a traditional Betty Crocker cake mix and swapped the eggs for flax eggs and swapped some of the oil for milled flaxseed.
You can typically swap flaxseed for the fat in a recipe with a 3 to 1 ratio. If a recipe calls for 1/3 cup of oil or butter, swap it for 1 cup of flaxseed, or 3 Tbsp of flaxseed for 1 Tbsp of butter.
This swap is a great way to lower saturated fat, increase omega-3s, and add more fiber to just about any recipe.
Sprinkle lemon zest on top for the perfect light, lemony, springtime taste.
Vanilla Lemon Flaxseed Cupcakes
- 1 box Betty Crocker Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 carton vanilla frosting
- 3 flax eggs 1 Tbsp + 3 Tbsp water for each egg
- 1/3 cup Manitoba Milling Co. Smooth Whole-Milled Flaxseed
- 1/3 cup oil vegetable, olive, or coconut
- 1 lemon zested, for topping
- Follow directions on box for preheating oven and greasing cupcake pan.
- Mix flaxseed and water in a small bowl to make your flax eggs. Set aside.
- Mix cake mix, oil, and flaxseed in a large mixing bowl. Add flax eggs.
- Mix to combine and follow directions on box for baking and cooling.
- When cool, frost with vanilla frosting. Sprinkle lemon zest on top. Serve and enjoy!