Tortillas are a staple in many households. We put a healthy twist on a classic favorite to bring you this healthy homemade, flaxseed tortilla recipe. This is a simple, minimal ingredient, easy to make, healthy wrap recipe.
With 1/4 cup (2 servings) of milled flaxseed per serving, these are a nutrition powerhouse. Two servings of Manitoba Milling Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed offers 6 grams of plant based protein, 8 grams of dietary fiber (and 8g of carbohydrate), and 6400mg of ALA Omega-3s!
This recipe complies with many special dietary needs and is sure to satisfy anyone in your household. They are: gluten free, grain free, dairy free, vegan, paleo, keto, low carb, and high fiber.
For best results, we suggest rolling the dough out quite thin. You may need to cook them longer than you expect to be sure the inside has cooked through. Read the notes section below for more tips and the best results.
Use this flaxseed tortilla recipe for your favorite wraps and Mexican-style favorites – quesadillas, burritos, tacos, and enchiladas.
- 1 cup Manitoba Milling Smooth Whole-Milled Flax plus more for dusting as needed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅔ cup water
- Add flax and salt to a medium mixing bowl and stir with a fork to combine.
- Heat water in a small saucepan until just simmering, then pour into the bowl over the flax and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined and a dough forms, about two minutes. Let cool.
- Divide dough into four even parts and form each into a ball, dusting with additional flax if it’s sticky.
- Roll each ball between two sheets of parchment paper (tortillas should be about 6-7” in diameter).
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Brush skillet with olive oil and cook each tortilla until browned and fully cooked (about four minutes per side).