Welcome the chilly winter weather with these festive, mint cookies!
For the vegans in your household or on your holiday gift list – you can make these cookies vegan by substituting vegan butter and your choice of vegan chocolate candies!
We used white chocolate peppermint candies to garnish our cookies, but you can choose garnish you want – try sprinkles, frosting, or other chocolates and candies. You can make this recipe any time of year just by switching out the garnish!
Tip – Don’t forget to cool the dough in the fridge for about 20 minutes before baking. This will prevent them from spreading too much while baking.
Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups flour all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter softened
- 1 flax egg 1 Tbsp Manitoba Milling Co. Smooth Whole-Milled Flaxseed + 3 Tbsp water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ~20 White Chocolate/Peppermint Candies
- ¼ cup granulated sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover a cookie sheet in parchment paper (if desired).
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat together sugar and butter until fluffy. Beat in flax egg and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and beat until combined (no streaks of flour remain).
- Spoon out dough, 1/2 Tablespoon at a time, and roll into balls. Roll each ball of dough in garnishing sugar, then chill the dough balls in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and arrange on cookie sheet two-three inches apart from each other (they will spread).
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until edges turn golden, about 7-10 mins.
- Remove cookies from oven. While the cookies are still warm, press a peppermint chocolate into the center of each cookie.