Hawaiian Veggie Burgers
A perfect recipe for your summer cookouts. These veggie burgers have just the right amount of kick and pair perfectly with barbecue sauce, pineapple slices, and avocado. They are a good source of protein, fiber, and whole-milled flaxseed.
Yield: 8 servings
Time: 45 minutes
1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup red onion, diced
3/4 cup pineapple (or 1 8oz can of sliced pineapple in juice, drained)
1 tsp crushed garlic in oil
1/4 tsp each of cumin, paprika, and cayenne
1/4 cup of flax
1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flax + 3 Tbsp water, full instructions here)
1/2 of a red pepper, diced
1 cup Old-Fashioned oats (gluten-free certified if needed)
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor or blender combine the chickpeas, onion, pineapple, flax, flax egg, garlic, and spices.*
- Add the pepper and combine, leaving some larger pieces for texture.
- Add the oats either to the blender/processor but mix by hand or add the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the oats.
- Form the mixture into palm-sized patties. This makes about 8 patties.
- Bake for 30 minutes. With about 10 minutes left, flip the patties and cook on the other side.
- Top with barbecue sauce, pineapple, avocado, and lettuce. Enjoy!
*Note: You can also finely dice the pineapple, onion, and pepper and mash the mixture with a potato masher.