This recipe was created by Jessica Ivey, RDN and shared with her permission.
Besides being a nutritional powerhouse, did you know you can use flaxseed to replace eggs in recipes? This recipe puts a fun spin on traditional veggie burgers. It uses white beans, quinoa, and flaxseed with pesto on top!
The ‘flax egg‘ binds the ingredients together and adds more nutrition. Top the final product with pesto and fresh vegetables for an added punch of flavor and color.
Flaxseed Quinoa and White Bean Burgers with Pesto
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 Tbsp Manitoba Milling Co. Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed divided
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup quinoa cooked
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 4 whole-wheat buns
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves packed
- 1 Roma tomato thinly sliced
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and saute 4 to 5 minutes or until tender and golden. Add garlic, and saute 30 seconds longer. Let cool.
- Combine 1 tablespoon Manitoba Milling Smooth Whole-Milled Flaxseed and 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl, stirring with a fork to combine. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture thickens to a gel-like consistency.
- Combine flaxseed mixture and beans in a large bowl, mashing with a potato masher until combined. Stir in sauteed onion, quinoa, oats, ¼ cup milled flaxseed, the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. (Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes for easier shaping.) Shape mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and heated through.
- Spread 1 tablespoon pesto over the bottom half of each bun (or use sandwich thins); add patties. Top evenly with spinach leaves, tomato slices, and sandwich thin tops.
Jessica Ivey, RDN, LDN, is a registered dietitian and chef. She has a passion for teaching people to eat healthy for a happy and delicious life. Jessica offers approachable healthy living tips, including fast recipes, meal prep guides, and ways to enjoy exercise on her website, JessicaIveyRDN.com. Connect with Jessica on Facebook and Instagram.follow us on social media: