The recommended daily amount is 2 tablespoons of milled flax. Consuming whole seeds will not unlock the nutritional value of the seed because the human body can’t digest them properly. Here are the best methods for consumption of Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed:
1. Add to smoothies, protein drinks, yogurt, cereal (oatmeal/steel cut oats), or mix with orange juice.
2. Use in baking – substitute oil at 3:1 ratio (might require extra water).
3. Use in gluten free baking as a gluten free flour (add 1 cup flax to 4 2/3 cup of any commercial gluten free flour blend).
4. Substitute for xanthan gum at 1:1 ratio.
5. Use as an egg substitute: 1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water = 1 “egg” (Mix the flax and water together before adding to your recipe).