Chocolate Flaxseed Cake (in a mug!)
Who doesn’t love a chocolatey sweet treat? We’re big fans of single-serve desserts, especially when it comes together in less than five minutes!
This chocolate flaxseed cake is the perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day without having to labor over a full-size version – no special equipment or pans required.
This chocolate mug cake is also vegan, which makes it totally acceptable to serve slightly under-baked.
a note on ingredients
We prepared this recipe using whole wheat pastry flour but you can also use a traditional white whole wheat flour. The two are interchangeable but pastry flour will leave your baked goods with a lighter, softer texture.
Because our Flax Milk contains real flaxseed (rather than just oil) and is richer and creamier than other plant based milks, baking with it often requires just a dash more milk. If you choose to use another plant based milk, we suggest using 2 Tbsp.
The milled flaxseed in this recipe serves as the healthy binding agent!
We suggest serving this with vegan whipped cream or a glass of Vanilla Flax Milk!
Chocolate Flaxseed Cake
- 3 Tbsp whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp cane sugar
- Pinch of fine salt
- 2.5 Tbsp Flax Milk unsweetened
- 1 Tbsp Manitoba Milling Co. Smooth Whole-Milled Flax
- 2 tsp neutral oil such as canola or grapeseed
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: ¼ tsp instant espresso powder
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, and salt to a microwave safe mug. Mix.
- In a separate dish, combine milk and flaxseed to create a “flax egg”. Let sit for ~2 minutes.
- Add flax egg, oil, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Microwave on high for 60-75 seconds, or until slightly puffed up and top springs back when lightly touched.
- Serve immediately with fresh berries, powdered sugar, and/or a dollop of your favorite plant-based ice cream or whipped cream.