These carrot cake flaxseed cupcakes are elevated with crystallized ginger and a hefty amount of milled flaxseed for a boost of fiber, protein, antioxidants, and omega-3s. Be sure to pick up some crystallized ginger the next time you venture out to the store. You likely already have the rest of the ingredients on hand.
A moderate amount of cream cheese frosting adds a special touch without being overly sweet.
These cupcakes are easy to make and the perfect touch for your family Easter festivities. Don’t forget to sprinkle with cinnamon or sprinkles on top!
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Manitoba Milling Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 brown bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger chopped
- 4 oz plain cream cheese room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- Whisk dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon) in a large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients (bananas through carrots) in a separate, small bowl.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and add wet ingredients. Stir with a spatula until just combined (be sure not to over-mix).
- Fold in crystallized ginger. Evenly distribute the batter between the 12 muffin liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack.
- When cupcakes are completely cooled, make frosting: Add cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla to a stand mixer (can also use a hand mixer) and beat on medium high until smooth. Frost cupcakes.