Back-to-School Season is upon us, which means so is running around getting breakfast ready in the morning, packing lunches, and searching for quick and easy dinner recipes.
During hectic school year schedules, it can be tough for parents to get their kids to meet daily fiber needs, especially if they are picky eaters or don’t have much variety in their diets. Kids need between 19 and 35 grams of fiber per day (learn more here). Aside from whole grains, beans, nuts, and fruits and veggies, flaxseed is a great source of fiber. Just 1 serving of Manitoba Milling Co. Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed contains 4 grams of fiber. This flaxseed has a particularly mild flavor making it easy to add a boost of fiber to just about anything.
Smooth whole-milled flaxseed can easily be incorporated into traditional kid-friendly favorites without compromising taste or flavor. Adding a serving of flaxseed will give your kids an extra boost of fiber plus a healthy dose omega-3s to power them through the school day or after school sports practice.
Manitoba Milling Co. Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed is very versatile and can be added to an array of your child’s favorite dishes. It is also an allergen-friendly product so is safe to use in recipes that will be brought into school or for kids with gluten or nut allergies.
See the list below for some inspirational ideas of how to include Manitoba Milling Co. Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed into kid-friendly recipes your children will be sure to love this school year!
Remember when adding additional fiber (from any source) to increase your water intake. Also keep in mind that adding milled flaxseed will absorb some of the moisture of whatever you are adding it to. Find specific recipes using flaxseed here and here.
1. Add a layer in between peanut butter & jelly sandwiches
2. Sprinkle over macaroni & cheese prior to baking
This will act like breadcrumbs and give it a nice crispy, breadcrumb-like topping.
3. Mix with crushed graham crackers & sprinkle over a pudding or yogurt up
4. Add to any of your child’s favorite cold or hot cereal in the morning
5. Sprinkle in between the melted cheese on grilled cheese sandwiches
6. Use to thicken up chocolate or vanilla milkshakes or fruit & veggie smoothies
Mix with flax milk for more Omega 3s!
7. Add a small amount to cupcake batter for your child’s next birthday party
Flaxseed can easily be added to any baking recipe, just mix some in with the flour. It goes great in breads, pancakes, waffles, and muffins. Or try Manitoba Milling Co.’s Flax and Bran Muffin or Pancake Mix for great make ahead meals.
8. Incorporate into your favorite homemade granola or granola bar recipe
9. Mix a small amount into ketchup or barbeque sauce for your child to dip
fish sticks or chicken nuggets into
Or if you make homemade chicken nuggets, swap the breadcrumbs for flaxseed!
10. Stir into marinara sauce or dough when making a homemade pizza
Joannah Konecny is a New Jersey based registered dietitian and business owner of Jo’s Foods that Fit, LLC. Her mission is to help guide others to plan and prep their own meals and snacks right from their own kitchen in order to lose weight, build muscle, and love their bodies. Joannah also specializes in retail business dietetics where she has a passion for discovering new food products and developing healthy recipes with them! You can follow her journey on Instagram or on her website.