Homemade ketchup is easier to make than you may think. You can customize it with whatever flavors you like – this one uses sriracha for a little kick! We use our Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed to slightly thicken it up without adding a gritty texture.
This homemade vegan ketchup is made with simple pantry staples you likely already have on hand.
You will begin by sautéing the onion and garlic to bring out the flavors. Once the onion is translucent, you will add all the classic ketchup flavors – vinegar, tomato paste, sugar, etc. Bring it to a simmer to let the flavors develop, blend with a food processor or immersion blender and that’s it!
Homemade Spicy Ketchup
- immersion blender or food processor
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion about ½ medium
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Manitoba Milling Co Smooth Whole-Milled Flaxseed
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook just until garlic is fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add tomato sauce, paste, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until slightly thickened and darker in color.
- Transfer to a large (quart-size) wide-mouth mason jar, add the flax, and use an immersion blender to pureé until smooth (or blend in a food processor until smooth). Let it cool to room temperature before screwing the lid on the jar and storing in the refrigerator.