To access our site in the US click here
Espresso Banana Bread with Dark Chocolate
This recipe was created by Leanne Ray, MS, RDN and shared with her permission. You can find the original post here.
This espresso banana bread is laced with rich coffee flavor and chunks of 70% dark chocolate. It is perfectly sweet and indulgent while still providing a solid amount of fiber from the whole grain flour and milled flaxseed.
If needed, it is easy to make the recipe vegan. Use your favorite milk alternative (may we suggest flax milk!) and dairy free chocolate.
Dark Chocolate Espresso Banana Bread
- 1/4 cup Manitoba Milling Co. Smooth Whole Milled Flaxseed
- 1/2 cup milk or milk alternative
- 1.5 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 small-medium overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz dark chocolate bar chopped (recommend 70%)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X5 loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a small dish, combine flax with milk and stir well. Let sit at least 5 minutes.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the flour, espresso powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Add flax/milk mixture, melted coconut oil, cane sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Transfer batter to loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing.
About the Author:
Leanne Ray is a virtual nutrition coach and the founder of LeanneRay.com. Leanne’s blog focuses on making cooking and nutrition practical for busy lifestyles. She is on a mission to prove that eating well doesn’t have to mean spending hours in the kitchen or sacrificing flavor. Connect with Leanne on Instagram for simple plant-forward recipes and food adventures.